Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Nothing But Perfect Advice

I always strive to be the ultimate hostess.  I LOVE having people over, having some appetizers, drinks, and entertaining. It's absolutely top 3 favorite thing to do in my life.  However, since my income is less than adequate (I'm talking lottery amounts here, folks!) I don't have a chance to always keep things on hand,  just in case someone drops by, or plans change.  

I was reading on Thoughtfully Simple the other day, the solution to my problems!! I also added some of my own opinions and additions!

1. Always keep 2 bottles of red wine and 2 bottles of white wine on hand. 

You'll always have something to serve your guests. Plain and simple, entertain is keeping the belly full and tongue from being parched! Now, if you're going to be a guest in my abode, I will probably not offer the white wine - I have very little love for white wine.  It's too sweet! Most white wine drinkers I know will also drink red wine if need be.  I'd also suggest keeping a 6-pack on hand as well (something domestic).  Some people just prefer beer to wine.  This way, if a couple or couple of friends stop by, there really is something for everyone.  This being said - keep a couple of water bottles handy at all times.  People always want to quench their thirst, and you can always throw it in a nice tumbler with ice cubes to make it ice cold!



2. Keep ingredients on hand for simple appetizers.

I wish I was able to follow this one better.  My cooking skills are limited.  However, I am slowly inching my way up the foodie ladder (thanks Pinterest!).  Martini Kabobs are easy enough, and keep well (olives, prosciutto, cocktail onions).  I also would suggest keeping sour cream, mayonnaise, and a dip packet to mix in, and that's easy enough - since more likely than not, you have chips and crunchy veggies to dip on hand as well.  Not necessarily the most fancy of appetizers, but certainly works in a pinch! Who doesn't like chips and dip? 



3. Keep Supplies like cocktail napkins on hand and invest in a simple set of cocktail plates. 

Yup. Paper Towels don't exactly scream, "I was totally ready for you, and I'm not grasping at straws to accommodate for you". Something like cocktail napkins/plates say, "These might seem relatively formal, but I'm classy like that. No you didn't put me out at all!".


In my world, I follow this every day.  However, in real life, I don't keep wine on hand - because I'll find a reason to drink it.  I don't keep too many ingredients on hand - because it generally goes bad before I use/eat it.  I don't have cocktail napkins on hand because I hate to spend money that I shouldn't spend on non-absorbent, functional things. It's not a perfect world, but I sure do dream in one!!

Happy Week before Turkey Day! :)

1 comment:

  1. this is amazing!!! I am so glad you are blogging!! you should do a guest post on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete