Monday, March 4, 2013

Kale-in' it

Did you see what I did there? Did you see it? 

Sorry for that one, guys. Actually, I'm really not. I'm pretty proud of my mad wordplay skillz.

Moving on. 

I'm trying to live my life a little more domestically in the present days. You know, actually doing laundry (instead of the standard sniff test), decorating (in a grown up way, not in the glittery 14 year old way I really want to), and cooking (not throwing noodles in a pot and drenching it in 8 different kinds of cheeses).  

So, being the ever-so grown up that I imagined I was supposed to be, I went to the grocery store and bought a whole lot of vegetables (I'm really not a fan of too many fruits).  When I got home, I immediately put away said fresh ingredients and perused Pinterest (obvious next step). 

I was able to make a few delicious dishes and then promptly fell back into my undomesticated ways.  The turnaround was actually quite quick.  

That being said, I really hated to waste food.  So I did the 180 degree change up for another 24 hours, and decided I was going to cook that super nutrient-laden leafy green - Kale. 

I've had Kale before, and really loved it.  Loved it for it's leafy greens (I'm a sucker for salads), interesting taste, and the face that it's just so gosh darn good for myself. The downside, is that when I've cooked it before, it hasn't quite tickled my palate in the way that I wanted it to.

So, back to the wonderful world of Pinterest! (And Martha Stewart) Of course, I had to find a brilliant recipe with ingredients that I already had at home! (not much!) Then, as if from the heavens, it appeared.  A simple Kale recipe, that involved my first favorite food - pasta. 

So, how did it go?






Delicious! 

If I were to make it again, I'd find a different spice to add.  Thyme isn't my favorite spice, a little too overpowering. Granted, maybe there was a bit of a tomato mishap (my two cups of grape tomaters wanted me to go grape stomping with them), so I should've had a few more tomatoes added in.  Twas really amazing though.  Made me feel healthy and full, all at the same time! 

Make Martha's recipe your own, and roll with it - it's a pretty great way to incorporate some health into your life! 

Although, you should realize, I'm currently elbow deep in a sleeve of Thin Mints.  I don't regret it at all either - not with the healthy meal I just ate! 

Love and Laughs, 

AJ

3 comments:

  1. I am scared of Kale. but I guess I should be healthy and try it since that looks pretty delcious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty good, if you take it in small bites. No worse than any kind of lettuce!

    ReplyDelete